Posts for category: Cosmetic Dentistry
If you're considering tooth replacement with dental implants, you should understand their many benefits. At Northside Family Dentistry in Macon, your dentists, Dr. Clinton Watson and Dr. Nicole Jackson, offer these modern prosthetics because they resemble natural teeth in every way. Here are the details.
The dental implant resides in the jaw bone
Just as a real tooth does, a dental implant anchors to the alveolar ridge of the jaw. It does this via a titanium root. That's right. A titanium screw or cylinder secures the metal post and porcelain crown which comprise the artificial tooth above the gum line. The screw-like implant integrates with the jaw bone through osseointegration.
The Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society defines osseointegration as the structural and functional connection between the load-bearing implant and living bone. Simply put, osseointegration secures the bond between the bone and the implant which must bear the substantial forces of biting and chewing. Over time, the bond becomes stronger. Implants may form the foundation for a single-tooth replacement or when surgically placed in multiples, secure bridgework or full dentures.
To qualify for treatment with dental implants, Dr. Jackson or Dr. Watson will perform a complete examination, take X-rays and other specialized imaging and review your health history. If your health and bone density check out, you're ready for the simple, in-office implant surgery.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
- Dental implants improve underlying bone and gum tissue. They actually exercise the jaw and gums, retaining almost all of their original structural integrity.
- They are permanent. The Institute for Dental Implant Awareness reports these artificial teeth have a high success rate and stay in place for decades.
- They are versatile, replacing teeth on either arch. In fact, if you are missing one tooth or an entire arch, dental implants could be your smile solution.
- Dental implants do not decay and rarely fail.
- They are easy to take care of with simple brushing and flossing every day and also six-month cleanings and examinations at Northside Family Dentistry.
- Age is no barrier to implant placement. Adults of all ages--even seniors--can receive them successfully.
- Implants improve speech, personal appearance and the ability to enjoy all your favorite foods.
- They eliminate smile gaps and strengthen adjoining teeth.
- Dental implants create better self-confidence in social and professional situations.
Start your journey to a renewed smile
You can by calling Northside Family Dentistry in Macon. Dr. Watson or Dr. Jackson will meet with you and answer all your questions. Call for a consultation: (478) 475-1976.