What your dentists in Macon want you to know
Keeping good oral hygiene habits isn’t difficult. It also doesn’t take a lot of time out of your busy day, but the effort you make can save your smile. Dr. Clinton Watson and Dr. Nicole Jackson at Northside Family Dentistry in Macon, GA, want to share the facts about good oral hygiene and why it’s important to you and your smile.
The truth is when you take care of your smile and keep it healthy, your overall health will benefit too. An unhealthy mouth has been linked to an increased risk of heart disease, endocarditis, stroke, diabetes, and Alzheimer’s disease. In addition to helping keep you and your body healthy, keeping good oral hygiene habits will also help to:
- Prevent tooth decay
- Prevent gum disease
- Prevent periodontal disease
- Keep your smile looking great
Keeping good oral hygiene habits can prevent small dental issues, which can grow into painful, expensive dental problems. By maintaining your oral health, you can save yourself from unnecessary pain, expense, and time in the dental chair.
So, how do you keep good oral hygiene habits? You need to:
- Brush after every meal and before bed; use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste, brushing gently in a circular motion. Many people love using an electric or sonic toothbrush.
- Floss at least once during the day; use either waxed or unwaxed dental floss and wrap around each tooth as you clean in between your teeth. This wrapping motion helps keep the floss firmly against the tooth surface for better cleaning.
- Don’t forget to make regular visits to your dentist and dental hygienist for x-rays, an exam, and professional cleaning. Yearly dental examinations and professional cleanings every six months can help keep your smile in top shape.
Keeping good oral hygiene habits is vital to your continuing good health, and the health of your smile. To find out more about keeping your smile healthy and beautiful, call Dr. Watson and Dr. Jackson at Northside Family Dentistry in Macon, GA, today!